St. Petersburg has significant historical and cultural heritage that ensures social stability and harmonization of interethnic and interfaith relations, promotes the creative potential and spiritual development of the individual and society as a whole.
Culture makes an important contribution to the city economic revitalization, creating jobs, attracting investments and developing new sectors - cultural tourism and creative industries.
St. Petersburg is the cultural center of global importance, wherein are housed 8,464 objects of cultural heritage (historical and cultural monuments), including the 4,213 objects of cultural heritage of federal importance, comprising nearly 10% of all the State-protected monuments within the Russian Federation. The city has a strong network of cultural institutions: museums, theaters, libraries, art galleries and concert halls. Namely, thanks to the Hermitage, the Marinsky Theatre, National Library of Russia, the Russian Museum, Peter and Paul Fortress, the Maly Drama Theatre and St. Isaac's Cathedral St. Petersburg is among ten the most attractive cities to visit in the world. The historic center of St. Petersburg is on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Culture is the strategic potential of St. Petersburg as multifunctional city of European standards integrated into Russian and world economy.
St. Petersburg is the largest center of the world and Russian culture, wherein is concentrated unique cultural and historical heritage:
• State-protected objects of cultural heritage – 8,464;
• 4,213 of these are objects of federal importance;
• More than 80% of XVIII-XIX century monuments - the originals;
• St. Petersburg ranks eighth in the list of the most popular and attractive cities in the world (according to UNESCO data);
• St. Petersburg area comprises 36 integrated sites, bringing together around 4,000 outstanding monuments of architecture, history and culture entered into UNESCO World Heritage List.
St. Petersburg has the following cultural institutions:
Museums - 184
• Museums and open-air museums under local management: 43 (with branches);
• Museums under federal management: 24 (with branches);
• Departmental museums: 31;
• Other: 86.
Libraries – 1,106
• Library under federal management - 2;
• Library of the Academy of Sciences of Russia – 1;
• Libraries under local management - 199;
• Libraries of institutions and organizations – 904.
Theatres - 88
• Theatres under local management - 25;
• Theatres under federal management - 5;
• Theatres under regional management performing in the city - 3;
• Non-state supported theaters - 55.
Concert halls - 14
• Concerts halls under local management - 12;
• Concert halls under federal management - 2.
Cultural and recreational facilities - 52
• Cultural and recreational facilities under local management - 26;
• Cultural and recreational facilities under other agencies - 26;
Educational Institutions - 71
• Secondary vocational education under local management - 7;
• Music, design and art schools – 63;
• School of Music under federal management – 1.
Parks - 5
• City parks and recreation centers - 4;
• Zoo – 1.
Cinemas - 62
• City cinemas - 13, including cinemas for children - 4;
• Non-state supported cinema network - 49;
Statistics of St. Petersburg cultural events in 2011 – 2013
|- Contemporary Art||690||677||773|
|- Museum Funds||252||324||447|