The St. Petersburg education system is an extensive and diverse territorial-industrial complex.
The St. Petersburg education system is an extensive network of pre-school, primary, primary and secondary (complete) general education, primary and secondary vocational education, extended education for children and adults and is characterized by the high level of variability of educational services and their territorial availability in a large city.
Government education institutions of St. Petersburg, subordinate to
the Committee on Education
(as of 01.01.2014)
Preschool education institutions – 1,064.
General education institutions - 693,
• comprehensive schools – 603;
• general education schools with advanced study of individual items - 135;
• high schools - 74;
• vocational schools - 44;
• elementary schools (kindergarten) - 14;
• elementary schools – 5;
• boarding schools - 6;
• special (correctional) schools - 39;
• special (correctional) boarding schools - 17;
• special schools - 2.
Extended education institutions for children - 58.
Elementary vocational education institutions – 48.
Regional centre of Education and IT quality assessment - 1.
Secondary vocational education institutions - 12.
Academy of Postgraduate Pedagogical Education - 1.
Others - 41
• information centers - 18;
• psychological-pedagogical, medical-social centers - 19;
• unconventional education institutions - 3.
378,073 children and adolescents enrolled in the St. Petersburg general educational institutions and 217,286 pupils attended preschool educational institutions. 72,359 pedagogical specialists working in educational organizations.