The development of health care sector
Public health is one of the most important indicators for the city well-being. The last seven years have passed in St. Petersburg under implementation the St. Petersburg Health Care Concept during 2004-2010, and since 2005 up to date under implementation of the priority project "Health". One of the most significant moments of the past two years can be regarded as implementation of the Health Care Modernization Program in 2011-2013. During implementation of Concept and the national project "Health" is taken into account demographic and migration processes in accordance with the St. Petersburg Master Plan until 2020.
Implementation of the Health Care Modernization Program aims to increase the operating efficiency of the city health care system and accessibility and quality of medical care, as well as to maintain and promote the public health on the basis of a healthy lifestyle.
During 2013 worked 22 health centers for adults and 7 health centers for children. The number of individuals who seek health centers was 66,957 including 13,392 children. Percentage of self-applied individuals to health centers is 85.3% of the total number of applicants. The main objective of national program “Health” and health Centers is reducing of consumption of alcohol and tobacco.
In 2013 in St. Petersburg was a significant event - the birth of the five-millionth inhabitant. On 1st of January 2014 the city population was 5 million and 132 thousand people, which is 104 thousand more than on 1st of January 2013. This was due to reduction of the natural population loss rate and increased birth rate as well as a result of active migration processes.
Along with the growth of birth rate is marked downward trend in death rate. After a quarter of a century after 1988 in St. Petersburg for the first time instead of natural decline was recorded natural population growth since birth rate exceeded death rate.
According to the operative Rosstat data, in 2013 in St. Petersburg was born 62,374 babies, which is 2,031 people more than in 2012. Birth rate index was 12.8 per 1,000 people.
Since 2003, the St. Petersburg date rate gradually reduces. According to Rosstat data, in 2013 the number of deaths was 60,491 people, which is 2,3% more compared to 2012. The city death rate in 2013 was 12.0 %, in the country – 13.1% .
Target programs of the St. Petersburg Government
In order to successfully address the complex issues related to the city public health in St. Petersburg are implemented medical and social programs.
Within the Action Plan for Prevention, Early Detection and Treatment of Cancer Pathology and Logistical Support to St. Petersburg public health agencies, providing medical assistance to people suffering from cancer, during 2012-2014 are introduced screening programs for routine detection of malignant tumors, conducted preventive examinations for early detection of colorectal cancer, purchased vaccine against human papilloma virus for immunization of girls under the age of 13.
Within the framework of target program "Complex measures for combat against drug abuse and illicit trafficking in St. Petersburg during 2009-2013" has been created Personal Data Protection System at unified automated patient-specific data recording system for rendering drug treatment, completion of treatment and rehabilitation of patients addicted to drugs, alcohol and substance abuse in the state drug treatment facilities. There are purchased computer and network equipment, repaired premises and equipped with medical equipment and hospital furniture, conducted training for specialists in drug treatment facilities in clinical toxicology, psychiatry, and other specialties, professional training of health psychologists in medical (clinical) psychology, there are posted articles in Internet about the implementation of state anti-drug policy; posted ads for "Telephone Hotline" in subways. There have been held Doors Open Days in drug rehabilitation centers, carried out the printing and distribution of information materials. There have been conducted live performances on cable television programs, interviews and articles in the media.
In 2013, there has been continued implementation of the following Action Plans:
Action Plan for Modernization of Mental Health Services in St. Petersburg during 2012-2014;
Action Plan for Improvement of Public Health Care for patients with vascular disease in St Petersburg during 2013;
Action Plan for Development of Geriatric Services in St. Petersburg during 2011-2013.
Action plan for Help Patients Suffering from Diabetes and Logistics Support to St. Petersburg public health care institutions rendered medical assistance to that category of citizens during 2012-2014".
There have been financed programs for preferential denture treatments and hearing aids. Queues for free denture treatments are virtually eliminated (Social Protection Agencies give referrals to denture treatments after verification of the citizen's documents confirming right to free denture treatments).
In 2013, there has been continued implementation of the St. Petersburg Government Decree "On the Action Plan for Prevention of Spread of Tuberculosis and Logistics Support to St. Petersburg public health care institutions rendered medical assistance to patients with tuberculosis during 2012-2014". Within the Plan implementation have been provided comprehensive chemotherapy of tuberculosis patients in city hospital, supplied city hospitals with needed pharmaceuticals, upgraded and extended the existing stock of computers and multimedia equipment for health care facilities in St. Petersburg.
One of the main areas of concentrated attention is maternal and children health care program. There has been continued implementation of "Maternal Certificate", launched a Children Dental Disease Prevention Program, developed and implemented additional Immunization Program in the current year. In 2013, there have been resolved the issues of prenatal diagnosis during pregnancy. There have been organized providing of specialized health food for children with disabilities and other privileged categories of citizens. Disabled children with celiac disease, phenylketonuria, galactosemia received a health food. In order to prevent diseases of the reproductive system are organized and carried out mandatory annual gynecological and urologo-andrological examinations.
Within the HIV prevention in St. Petersburg has been approved and since 2013 was launched a long-term target program "Prevention of disease caused by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV infection) in St. Petersburg during 2013-2015". The city has increased the coverage of clinical observation of HIV-infected patients from 73% in 2009 to 86% in 2013 from the number of subjects (including FPS). The antiretroviral therapy coverage of HIV-infected patients as "percentage of those in need" was 100% of the forecasted values for 2012. Using funds under the program there has been completely renovated hospital AIDS Center, repaired S.P. Botkin Clinical Infectious Diseases Hospital, City Tuberculosis Dispensary and Urban Mortem Bureau.
For supporting of maternal health of fertility age was created St. Petersburg the Federal state institution of public health “Family planning center”.
In St. Petersburg is continuing the implementation of Health Care Modernization Program during 2011-2013.
The modernization program is a package of measures aimed at strengthening the infrastructure of medical institutions, the implementation of modern information systems and standards for medical care in order to perform the following tasks:
- Development of primary health care and preventative health care, improving the availability and quality of outpatient care;
- Stabilization of the infant, prenatal and maternal mortality;
- Improving the availability and quality of specialized medical care;
- The implementation of modern information systems in health care.
During 2013, there have been continued activities on the implementation of the priority national project "Health" in the following areas:
- Development of primary health care and improving of disease prevention;
- Improving of maternal and children medical care;
- Improving the availability and quality of specialized, including high-tech medical care;
- Formation of a healthy lifestyle.
International cooperation in the health care field
In 2013, the Health Care Committee cooperated on 51 programs and 11 countries (Belgium, Britain, Denmark, Germany, the USA, Finland, France, Switzerland, Sweden, Estonia and Japan).
The main areas of Committee activities in the field of international cooperation were:
- "Healthy Cities" is an international project of the European Regional Office of the World Health Organization. This project consolidated powers at different levels and structures - health care, social security, environmental protection, transportation, urban management, aimed at improving the health and quality of life;
- practical implementation of innovative health technologies;
- improvement of emergency medical services;
- healthy lifestyle and smoking prevention programs;
- combating the spread of AIDS, tuberculosis and other infectious diseases;
- cooperation in the field of pediatric neurology, improving the life quality of children with disabilities.
Within the framework of inter-regional cooperation by the Health Committee were signed more than 20 agreements with the regions and five neighboring countries in the field of health care.
The main results of working in 2013 are the following:
- the completion of long process of joining St. Petersburg into European regional Bureau Project of World Health Organization "Healthy Cities".
- Project of World Health Organization "Healthy Cities" will be the great foundation for organizing activities directed into improvement of peoples’ health.
- May-June 2013 was providing some types of jobs connected with membership of St. Petersburg into the web. This request will be positive.
St. Petersburg Health Committee got accreditation certificates of the city in 2013, 26 November. St. Petersburg Health Committee conducted 73 international events and 16 interregional ones.
The main results:
- The project of fighting with smoking tobacco was implemented by World Health Organization and Research institute of introduction of new technologies of I.P. Pavlov. Besides that was implemented the popularization of rejection of smoking tobacco among as adult person so as teens.
- Continue fulfillment the program of St. Petersburg Government of state policy materializing for compatriots located in foreign countries in 2011-2013. Within the framework of this program was taken and supplied medicine facilities and other medical products for occupants of blockade Leningrad in Kyrgyz Republic. Because of the continuation of this supporting program was made a request to the Committee of external relations for concordance of ending receivers of humanitarian goods for occupants by 2014
- According to the Action Plan during 2009-2013 for the implementation of the Agreement between St. Petersburg (with the direct participation of St. Petersburg Governor Poltavchenko G.S.) and Astana (KZ), several events have been held with the participation of leading specialists of the St. Petersburg Health Committee and Kazakhstan Health Care institutions.
Was conducted the great amount of seminars, “round tables”, consultative sessions for native citizens as well different actions connecting with familiarization the partnership between the regions and facilitation of experience exchange in Health Care area.